Hi Damien,

Smile. Oh, I never suggested you were loony, stupid, or any of those
things. However, your point of thinking of a route as a list of
instructions rather than a mental map is a great point I was trying to
illistrate to Yohandy. Not all of us have the same skills and/or
abilities which makes playing certain genres of games more difficult
than others.

I, for example, have excellent sspacial orientation. I've been told by
a number of o&m instructers that I have a very sharp mind when it
comes to remembering routes etc in my head. The reason for that is I
can picture a mental map of the route, remember everything in proper
context, and can use that information to pretty much plot my course. I
can even use that skill for quickly assessing where I am in a strange
place I've never been in before. It is like I have a mental mapping
feature in my head that draws and redraws the route in my head as I
go. Understandably not everyone, such as yourself, is able to do this.

Obviously, this skill is a huge advantage for me in accessible games.
Any game like Sarah, Shades of Doom, Pacman Talks, Monkey Business,
etc that requires figuring things out in a realistic spacial context
is fairly easy for me. I simply form a map in my head of the level, as
best that I can, and then begin moving around in that mental map until
I figure it out. Once I played the game a couple of times I never get
lost again. That gives me a huge advantage.

Coming back to my point though there are games like Tomb Raider with
far less accessibility than Shades of Doom or Sarah. Unlike Shades of
Doom there is a third axis of movement up/down that makes the levels
far more complex to navigate. There are ropes, ladders, staircases
that have to be navigated to reach certain rooms above the one you are
in. You really have to have extremely good spacial orientation to
figure this out if you are blind because you will have to use your
ears and memory to get around the levels. If you reduce it to a simple
list of left, right, up, down, foward, and backward type things it
just won't cut it. You litterally have to keep a memory of the map,
the level's exact layout, in your head at all times.

Cheers!


On 2/7/11, Damien Pendleton <dam...@x-sight-interactive.net> wrote:
> Hi Thomas,
> In my experience I know some other blind people, who have been blind since
> birth, who struggle with spacial awareness. I, for example, can learn a
> route somewhere but find it hard to reverse the rules when finding my way
> back. I can't conceptualise it as a map in my head, but rather have to
> construct it as a list of instructions that I have to remember.
> If I find that concept hard in real life, goodness knows how hard it will be
> in a game where you don't physically have the landmarks there instead of as
> sounds. Granted, I have some small mental difficulties that make it harder
> for me than maybe other blind people, but I don't like to get into that any
> more since I used to be ridiculed a lot for it. I'm not a loony though,
> trust me. *Grin*
> Regards,
> Damien.
>

---
Gamers mailing list __ Gamers@audyssey.org
If you want to leave the list, send E-mail to gamers-unsubscr...@audyssey.org.
You can make changes or update your subscription via the web, at
http://audyssey.org/mailman/listinfo/gamers_audyssey.org.
All messages are archived and can be searched and read at
http://www.mail-archive.com/gamers@audyssey.org.
If you have any questions or concerns regarding the management of the list,
please send E-mail to gamers-ow...@audyssey.org.

Reply via email to