Hi Dark,

Well, I can't say about the U.K. but here in the U.S. I've heard a few
sighted people sling the term blink around a few times. I believe the
first time I heard it I was in Junior High and a sighted person used
it, and in a rather insulting way. So it is not exactly a fun,
harmless, nickname guys like  Che just made up one day for the fun of
it. It has been around a while.

In fact, as mentioned earlier I think the most probable origen for
this term is that when people have troubles seeing things they often
blink trying to clear their eyes, or they squint  there eyes trying to
see things better. Naturally, someone would associate this with visual
problems, and associate this with blindness or near blindness.

Of course, there are dumb people, well, uneducated people who think
completely the opposite is true. I can't tell you how many times
people have come up to me and asked me, "do blind people blink?"

Of course, we do. That is an involintary behavior used to keep the
eyes clean, and really has nothing to do with sight. However, my point
is that sighted people do have this weird hang up with blinking and
blindness that is typical ignorance about blindness that can swing
either way.

cheers!