Could a check be built in to automatically check for the needed components, then prompt for download?
I'm certainly OK with switching to the new.
On 3/4/2011 3:03 AM, Philip Bennefall wrote:
Hi all,

Recently I have been making some drastic changes to the BGT core. As many of
you will know, most audio games today use a technology known as DirectSound to
output audio. BGT is no exception. Until about 3 years ago DirectSound was the
interface of choice for all Windows based games. It has been around since 1995,
and has become rather stable over the years. However, Microsoft are now pushing
developers away from DirectSound as it is being replaced by a new audio engine
called XAudio2. XAudio2 provides much greater flexibility when it comes to low
latency audio processing, and is an over-all better system than DirectSound.
However, in order for XAudio2 to work reliably I have found that the end users
need to run at least the June 2010 release of Direct X 9. It is also necessary
for users of Windows 7 service pack 1 to upgrade in a few cases.

So my question to you all is this. In the next BGT release, would you like me
to switch to XAudio2? This will give much better performance on Windows Vista
and 7 as compared to DirectSound, but should be about the same on Xp. However,
the games simply will not run if the user has anything earlier than Direct X
June 2010 installed and it will force them to upgrade. Do I maintain two
versions of the engine for a while, a DirectSound and an XAudio2 build, or are
we okay to switch immediately? This is what I would like to ask you all before
I make a final decision.

Thanks for reading.

Kind regards,

Philip Bennefall