Hi Thomas,
Even if Inno Setup can't internally check for such components, I am sure it would be possible to check with the Pascal scripting, just by checking for certain files or registry values, or even better, run the DXSetup tool directly from the installer using a silent installation, and let that do all the work.
Regards,
Damien.

To: "Gamers Discussion list" <gamers@audyssey.org>
Sent: Friday, March 04, 2011 11:00 PM
Subject: Re: [Audyssey] XAudio2 and BGT

Hi Casey,

Yes, that is possible to do, but not exactly cheap. It is up to the
setup application to check for installed components and install them.
I haven't had any luck with Inno Setup in testing for these
components, but I do know Advanced Setup Installer will test for
various requirements such as DirectX, .NET Framework, and lots of
stuff. Problem is that Advanced Setup Installer is extremely,
extremely, extremely expensive. So while it is possible in order to
pay for the right tools for the job you can expect the game developers
to pay an extra $300 to $400 to get the right setup tools. Either that
or they have to learn Microsofts MSI language and write custom MSI
scripts. Not the easiest job for a newby.

Cheers!