Hi,
NVDA 2011.1.1 is released. you can download it at
www.nvda-project.org
sevgiler saygilar
To: "Gamers Discussion list" <gamers@audyssey.org>
Sent: Thursday, April 14, 2011 1:44 AM
Subject: Re: [Audyssey] Possible WWE Roster

Hi Jim,

Yeah, you are right. With a turned based game automatic speech isn't
always necessary.

For instance, I can remember back when I was in college and
downloading and playing the demo of PCS Games Monopoly for Dos.
Actually, it was very accessible, and worked well with ASAP, Jaws for
Dos, and Vocal Eyes. Most of that is do to the fact that it was mostly
menus and text prompts.

Would you like to buy Pennsylvania Railroad for $200?
Enter y/n.

That's just a standard ordinary text prompt, nothing special about it,
and since it is a turn based game you don't rreally have to have SAPI
for that. You have time to route your review cursor to the screen and
read the prompt if your screen reader doesn't read it automatically.
So its no big deal. However, as you said it is sometimes nice to use
the different SAPI voices rather than Eloquence or something like
that.

Speaking of that I've got a suggestion for you that might help you. I
know you said your version of Jaws is very very old, and I can't
honestly blame you for not wanting to pay out a small fortune to
upgrade to Jaws 12. There is a free screen reader for Windows called
NVDA 2010 I use a lot, and its really beginning to turn out to be a
nice low cost alternative to Jaws, Window-Eyes,  Hal, etc. It supports
ESpeak, SAPI 4 and SAPI 5 voices, and I've heard there are some
third-party patches that allows you to install and use Eloquence if
you want it. Since my copy of Window-Eyes is current I don't really
need it, but I do know from using it that NVDA has fairly decent
support for Firefox 3.x, Thunderbird, Internet Explorer 7/8, Microsoft
Word, etc. It might be worth it to check it out if you'd really like
to use something like AT&T Crystal, AT&T Mike, or AT&T Charles as your
default screen reader voice rather than Eloquence.

Cheers!

Hi Dark,

That is an excellent point about automatic speech being important in a live action type game and definitely not so much for a turn based type game. The
only other thing for me is that I have many sapi5 voices that I like much
better than Eloquence and my version of Jaws can not use any of the sapi5
voices.

BFN

     Jim

You're just jealous because the voices only talk to me.

j...@kitchensinc.net
http://www.kitchensinc.net
(440) 286-6920
Chardon Ohio USA