Hi Willem,

Yeah, unfortunately you are right. Using emulators work to a point,
but they always have problems too. The issue with Shades of Doom
crashing on wine is a prime example. I've seen similar issues with
other accessible games under wine  and its certainly frustrating.

And the issue isn't just wine either. I use an Atari 2600 emulator
called Stella and not every single Atari 2600 game will operate
correctly with Stella. I've had weird things happen like the graphics
appear screwed up on screen, games freeze for no reason in the middle
of game play, and things like that.  If that happens with a rather
simpl game like Pacman how can we expect modern games to fair any
better as we try to maintain playing/using them on more modern PCs via
emulation.