Hi Jeremy,

No, your information/understanding is incorrect. While a blind person
can use "free matter for the blind" on some mail its only for specific
cases.

For instance, if the Library of Congress sends me a book in braille or
a book on audio  tape I have the right, as a blind individual, to
return those materials via free matter of the blind. If BSVI, BVR, or
some other government run blind agency sends me a form to fill out I
can return it via free matter for the blind. NFB, AFB, APH, the
Learning Alley, etc all can send me materials via free matter for the
blind because they are registered non-proffit organizations with the
U.S. government in dealing with blind specific products and services.

The point I want to make here is that the free matter for the blind is
a very specific service, and you can't just use it for anything you
want to. I could not, for example, mail all of my bills free matter
for the blind because that's to a regular company and not to a blind
organization, government agency, etc.  I could not ship any of my
games to you on cd because USA Games Interactive is not registered
with the U.S. government as a blind organization or non-proffit
agency. Which is what you have  to do to qualify for free matter for
the blind service.

Finally, you can't just write free matter for the blind on the
envelope. There is a special ink stamp you get from the U.S.Postal
Service that identifies you as a registered free matter for the blind
user. If you don't have that ink stamp they are going to send your
mail into the trash or send it back do to lack of proper funds. So
before you get too excited over the free matter for the blind service
its not what you have been lead to believe it is. Free matter for the
blind is simply  for non-proffit use between a blind individual and a
non-proffit organization or agency, and if you want to go that route
you have to get registered as such.

HTH