Pctuneup has been really useful, with a very clean interaface.

pluss, it does various tasks, including internet optimizing, defragging, defragging the registry, and has some very useful tools like the startup manager where you can look precisely at what is going on on your pc at startup and enable/disable or delete processes (great for if you've had a virus).

I also pay for avg antivirus because as well as being very good at munching viruses, it also does spyware rookits and has a resident shield and link scanner.

Myself, i don't mind paying for software if it does a good job, and the free spybot alternative I tried and free C cleaner program were neither as good as avg.

That being said, I also use 7zip which is free, and far better than the paid alternatives like winrar.

Ultimately, I pay for something if it is good, rather than instantly look for a free alternative which might be less good.

After trying some paid and free alternatives, I came up with avg as the ones I prefer.

your milage may be different, but fair enough, however I'm certainly happy with what I have and don't regret spending the cash on them.

Beware the grue!