Hi Dark,

No offense taken. I do understand your opinion, and it is a common
issue with new Linux users I've encountered on the VI Linux mailing
lists. The idea of having to compile software etc frankly scares them,
but in time many find it is not as bad as they had first thought. Like
you they have no background with the tools etc involved and doubt they
can do it. However, that is what mailing lists, howtos, and various
other support services are therefore. If you don't know how to do this
or that chances are there is someone who can lend a helping hand.

Assuming all the right tools and libraries are installed setting up a
game or anything else from source is actually pretty straight forward.
Once a person does it a couple of times and correctly follow
directions it will become second nature to them. A standard install
from source might go like this.

1. Configure the build environment with "./configure" which sets up
the build scripts for the Linux platform.

2. Type "make" which will run the automake tool to compile the source
into a binary program.

3. Type " sudo make install" which will install the game or app to the
proper directories on the system.

That's in a nutshell a standard install from source. Yes, its pretty
new to an average user from a Windows only background, but its not
like a person has to do anything special or complicated. The entire
process of building and installing software x is scripted and it is
merely a matter of running the proper scripts and making sure they
don't give errors. However, as I said it is very rare that a person
has to resort to a source only install since Ubuntu, Debian, and a few
others have huge software libraries of stuff already compiled,
packaged, and ready for download/installation.

I'm not sure how to say this, but while I do understand your point I
can't help feel your worry isn't really justified. From where I stand
being able to see both sides of the issue I think you are perhaps
uncertain and afraid of the unknown, unsure of trying something new,
and from what littleyou have read you are willing to say its too
complex based on advanced installation directions.

For example, let's think about math. Let's say you are in primary
school, and just learning how to add, subtract, multiply, and divide
when a new teacher walks in and starts trying to teach you some higher
form of math like Calculous. While from your point of view you
wouldn't want to do it because it would be too advanced, too hard,
etc. Of course, you would be right. However, that is because you
hadn't progressed to that level. You would have had to know general
math, Algebra, Jeometry, Trig, etc to have the basic framework in
place to try Calculous. Same thing applies here.

Since you have no background knowledge of Linux, don't know how to do
a standard install of apps, you took one look of a manual install from
source and said, "Oops! That's too advanced for me." You are right,
but keep in mind that's like jumping from general math to Calculous
with nothing in between. The average Linux user doesn't do that, and
nor do they necessarily have to do that because of the large software
repositories. Even if your favorite game isn't available in an
existing  package for Linux x you can usually e-mail the maintainer or
your distribution and ask them to make one available.

HTH


On 7/2/11, dark <d...@xgam.org> wrote:
> Hi Tom.
>
> That does make more sense, and I do admit I didn't know about this
> centralized distribution business for different lynux systems. It's just
> that whenever I've seen a game (rocks and diamonds is just one example),
> running under lynux, it has similarlr complex instructions, hence my
> assumption.
>
> However, I stil would find myself a litle worried if using lynux, sinse it
> seems from your description not only do you have to worry about whether a
> given game or piece of software will run on your os, but also for someone
> like me who's technical skills are average at best, even if there is a lynux
> distribution I'd be utterly sunk if nobody had compiled it for whatever
> brand of lynux I was using, sinse it's doubtful I could do this myself, and
> I don't really like the idea of being at the mercy of whether something is
> popular enough for someone to have compiled it yet, particularly when it
> comes to new versions, sinse I'd probably need to wait for someone to
> compile a new version of a piece of sofware I wanted for whatever lynux
> distribution I used, rather than just being able to grab it myself.
>
> I'm sorry if this sounds negative, it's not intended to be, I'm just trying
> to considder the system in terms of bennifits for a reasonably average user.
>
> Beware the grue!
>
> Dark.
>
>
>
> ---
> Gamers mailing list __ Gamers@audyssey.org
> If you want to leave the list, send E-mail to
> gamers-unsubscr...@audyssey.org.
> You can make changes or update your subscription via the web, at
> http://audyssey.org/mailman/listinfo/gamers_audyssey.org.
> All messages are archived and can be searched and read at
> http://www.mail-archive.com/gamers@audyssey.org.
> If you have any questions or concerns regarding the management of the list,
> please send E-mail to gamers-ow...@audyssey.org.
>

---
Gamers mailing list __ Gamers@audyssey.org
If you want to leave the list, send E-mail to gamers-unsubscr...@audyssey.org.
You can make changes or update your subscription via the web, at
http://audyssey.org/mailman/listinfo/gamers_audyssey.org.
All messages are archived and can be searched and read at
http://www.mail-archive.com/gamers@audyssey.org.
If you have any questions or concerns regarding the management of the list,
please send E-mail to gamers-ow...@audyssey.org.

Reply via email to