Hi Tom.

One thing I have noticed about alsorts of information technology issues, is that they fall into what the philosopher and logician Witkenstein called "A language game"

This is a situation where so many unfamiliar and specific terms are used, only those in the know, those in the game so to speak, can understand them, and those outside the game have litle notion of what's going on.

I've used windows for a very long time, and thus am familiar with things like what an exe file does, what a registry key is, what archives are etc. I'm certainly no expert, but I would say i'm familiar enough with the technology to have a reasonable discussion with other people.

With Lynux though, it seems that all the processes change, and with them the terminology. Thus, when reading Lynux instructions, intended for advanced lynux users who are familiar with all of the terminology, I'm simply unfamiliar with the game.

It's much like reading any advanced text book on any subject, there is so much specific terminology that only workers in that subject know, it becomes hugely difficult for anyone outside to understand without a direct dictionary.

This does however make things rather inaccessible to those outside the game, which was actually Witkenstein's point.

I think generally I wouldn't be comfortable with lynux until I'd had chance to play with a lynux system for a while, learn some of the terminology and try things out.

However, obviously sinse that would mean completely abandoning windows and everything I have had experience of thus far, it's not a move I'd be too willing to make, and I imagine I'm probably not the only person in this position which might explain why people stil stick to using windows.

Had I enough money to simply buy a new machine to play with, I'd probably try lynux, but as it is, I can only afford one desktop and one laptop, so wouldn't be keen on switching to something which I'd then have to learn to use without an alternative.

I will remember though, and if I ever get the chance to play with a lynux system, as at one point I had a fairly long play with Jaws, i'll try it just for the experience.

Beware the grue!