To: "Gamers Discussion list" <gamers@audyssey.org>
Sent: Saturday, July 16, 2011 9:04 PM
Subject: Re: [Audyssey] Jeremy's incredible programming speed andmiscthoughtswas Re: Castaways, 1 week milestone reached!

I was actually just speaking with Hatred about adding some graphics, and pitching the game to a sighted community he is the administrator for. I have only 1 reservation when it comes to inviting mainstream gamers into the game, and that is security.

I'm sure they are everywhere, but the sighted gaming communities run rampant with people who want nothing more than to try to break a game. The first thing they will do is try to exploit any security holes to hack the game, or even bring the servers down. I've seen this so much, that I can't help but wonder if I'm on the verge of opening up Pandora's box here.

As someone who has made indie mainstream games, I know how to put the proper security measures in place, but I'd rather not have to. Instead of adding new features, or fixing bugs, I could wind up spending all of my time constantly trying to stay 1 step ahead of those who get a thrill out of trying to break it and ruin it for everyone else. Our biggest form of security is simply being hidden. The moment word gets out, into the wrong groups of people, that's forever gone.

Here in the blind community, it seems less likely that someone will intentionally try to ruin things for everyone, mostly because this is a smaller community. I guess I'll keep mulling it over, though any recommendations would be appreciated.