Welcome Steven!

Allowing both blind and sighted players to seamlessly work and play
together has always been a goal for us.  Around half of our playerbase
is blind, and we've had blind and sighted people playing side by side
since the late 1990's.  It's hardly new.

I think the key to getting the blind and sighted to play together is
to simply not surface the information.  A blind-hating troll who can't
tell if someone is blind or not will have a lot more difficulty
finding targets.  Frankly, the opposite problem exists too - I've seen
close knit groups of blind players that intentionally excluded sighted
players simply on the basis of being sighted.  Again, not being able
to tell if someone is sighted limits this quite a bit.

That said, this only works well if the game is pretty close to equally
accessible to both the sighted and blind.  If both types of player
aren't on a level playing field, there will always be those who claim
one group is better or worse and try to make a big deal out of it.

Dennis Towne

Alter Aeon MUD
http://www.alteraeon.com