Actually, my first thought is to see how far away the rocks are from your
quarry.  The stones are heavy, so the stone masons are very susceptible to long
walking distances.  They thin out the rocks, in the same way lumber jacks thin
out the forests, so they might be being forced to walk to some farther away
location now.  They can't get bricks from rocky soil, so check to see if all of
the stone around your quarry has become rocky soil.