Hi Charles and all,

Yes and no. Certainly it helps to have a large team of developers,
lots of money for bigger and better games, etc but that's not really
what Darren and I are getting at all. It has more to do with specific
features and standards that have already been set by mainstream games
similar to the one in which you intend to create. Even simple games
have standards already set by mainstream developers that should
attempt to be met when and where possible. Here is a clear cut example
of what I mean.

For instance, I'm going to compare the game Pull to a mainstream game
similar to it, and hopefully shed some constructive criticism how Pull
could be better if just a few features were added that is common in
mainstream arcade games. Now, I am fully aware it was the developers
first release, the developer is totally new programmer, and so on but
the fact still remains it has a ways to go to compare to a similar
mainstream game. At the moment the closest thing that comes to mind is
Duck Hunt for the classic NES.

In Pull someone launches clay pigeons from the left, they pass in
front of you, and you must load your shotgun and shoot them.  In Duck
Hunt Ducks will appear from the left or the right and pass in front of
you, and you must shoot them down. As I said its a similar concept,
but that's where the similarities begin and end as Duck Hunt is in
many respects a more complex game.

First, is the matter of difficulty or challenge. In Pull the speed of
the pigeons doesn't seem to change from round to round so you can
litterally keep shooting them and the game doesn't seem to get any
harder. In Duck Hunt every round or level gets a bit faster making it
harder and harder to shoot the ducks because the speed increases as
you rack up the rounds.

Second, is alternative directions. In Pull the pigeons always start
from the left side and fly right. In Duck Hunt ducks can start from
either the left or right, and it seems to be pretty random. So that
can throw you off as you never know which side the target will be
coming from.

Third, is multiple targets. In Pull there only seems to be a maximum
of one pigeon at a time. In Duck Hunt, depending on difficulty,  you
might have one, two, and sometimes three ducks on screen at once
making it much more challenging to get them all before they fly off
screen.

Fourth, two-player mode. In Pull there is only a single player mode.
In Duck Hunt, like most classic arcade games, it allowed you to set
the game up for single-player or two-player mode so you and a friend
could compete for the highest score.

Finally, the ability to actually aim your gun. In Pull the shotgun is
fixed dead center in the screen and won't allow you to move the gun
around. In Duck Hunt there was a NES controller, a gun that plugged
into the console, that allowed you to move the gun around on the
screen, site ducks, and shoot them down. You weren't just fixed in one
place.

As I said all of these points are raised in the hopes that they will
be taken as constructive criticism, and more over what I am suggesting
here isn't all that difficult for a single developer to add. It is not
necessarily comparing grapes to grapefruit, because I'm comparing two
games that are similar enough to each other to share the same kinds of
features, same type of game play, but don't have the same features or
quality because the developer probably didn't think those features
were necessary. Its simply that there are standards that have been set
by companies like Nintendo, even for a simple game like Duck Hunt, and
anything less than similar features and game play is below what I and
many mainstream gamers would see as par for that type of game. Many of
these improvements don't have to be particularly major, but it would
help if the developer would do his or her best to meet some kind of
mainstream standards like that when and where possible. The game
doesn't have to be the next Shades of Doom or Mysteries of the
Ancients to be mainstream quality. It just requires researching what
similar games have and try to add those kinds of features to their own
game if at all possible.

Cheers!