I was wondering how you were going to handle that so we wouldn't have to die
every time lol.

-----Original Message-----
From: gamers-boun...@audyssey.org [mailto:gamers-boun...@audyssey.org] On
Behalf Of Thomas Ward
Sent: Monday, August 01, 2011 5:06 AM
To: Gamers Discussion list
Subject: Re: [Audyssey] About the mag

Hi Jeremy,

Right. In that way we are thinking quite a lot alike. We each see things
that could be improved, new types of games to add to the community, and all
of it is to the good.

I also like your idea of someone writing an article in the Audyssey Magazine
covering various development aspects like game ideas, features, control
features, level layouts, etc that have been successful and that worked out
well for the game players at large. I myself am experimenting with such
issues right now in Mysteries of the Ancients as some of the features I've
added were not really tried in an audio only format before. One of those is
an analog jump system.
Which isn't really hard to add, but has been largely avoided until now.

Of course, analog jumping has been present in every mainstream game from
Montezuma's Revenge, to Donkey Kong, to Super Mario Brothers, right up to
the present. The problem with that is though that since you have to time or
gauge the length of a jump that sometimes requires a bit of site to see
weather or not you need to do a short hop, a short jump, or a very big jump
to overcome the trap ahead. One way I have dealt with this issue is by
changing the pitch of the pits so you can hear if the pit is large or small.
A large chasm will have a deeper wind sound than a smaller one. If a player
comes upon a deep windy sounding pit sound he or she might consider giving
Angela a run-up before jumping. If the chasm wind sound sounds higher he or
she can try and perform a standing jump. It is actually pretty accessible,
and I've found analog jumping can be just as accessible in an audio only
format as in a video format.

The only catch I think I've ran into in regards to analog jumping is the
players themselves. Many of them are use to a fixed jump, IE a fixed length
to jump, and often let up on the jump keys too quick or too late ending up
in the fire, lava, spikes, etc. I think though that this issue can be solved
with time and practice as its a slightly more advanced type of jump than
they are use to and they need time and practice to get use to it.

Cheers!

> Thank you Thomas.  It seems like we are on the same page here.  Of
> course we are concentrating on different things, the common thread is
> that we are seeing the importance of pushing forward.  You are hoping
> to push higher standards of development, I am trying to push for some
> different ideas that I haven't seen here, while I'm sure others are
> pushing for new interface ideas for existing game types.  In the
> future we need all of these things, and more!  We can't expect anyone
> to work on everything, but as long as we can get people pushing
> forward in their own unique way, it opens the door for the
> advancements to be combined.  It is inevitable that future developers
> will use game ideas someone had to pioneer, develop them to a quality
> standard someone had to push to happen, and use far greater controls
> which someone took the time to envision.  A person pushing advancements
down any path, will eventually work its way into everything else.

_____________ NOD32 EMON 6339 (20110731) information _____________

_____________ NOD32 EMON 6340 (20110801) information _____________

_____________ NOD32 EMON 6340 (20110801) information _____________

http://www.eset.com