Hi Shaun,

I'm afraid you completely missed the point. Weather someone has
updated equipment, programs in language x, whatever really has nothing
to do with it. It has more to do with the fact there are certain
common features I would call standards in mainstream games that don't
often get included in audio games because the developer doesn't know
about them or he or she doesn't know how to program it. Either way it
is something of a problem as we are in a sense accepting a lower
standard or quality of games because of it.

I'll return to my comparison of Pull to Dunk Hunt I posted to the list
yesterday. Pull is a simple game in concept, which is perfectly fine
as far as that goes, but it lacks many common features a game like
Duck Hunt has which would improve the game play if they were added.
Things like increasing the speed of the clay pigeons after each round,
randomly changing the direction where the clay pigeons are launched
from, add more clay pigeons to target, a dedicated scoring system,
high score board, perhaps two-player mode, etc isn't really all that
much to ask. These are fairly simple additions or features that could
be made to improve the game to make it more like mainstream games of
that genre or type. You see what I mean?

This has absolutely nothing to do with system specs, 64bit, and all
this stuff you seem to think is required to catch up to the
mainstream. I'd agree if we were talking Doom 3D or Star Wars Battle
Front with 3d graphics etc, but we aren't. We are talking about how
various games, even simple games like Pull, could be improved just by
adding more challenges, features, etc more commonly found in
mainstream games. In fact, I can safely  say a game like Pull could be
written in something like visual Basic 6, DirectX 7, and built for
Windows 95, a Pentium 133 processor, and 32 MB of ram, and still
support all of the mainstream features I mentioned above. These kinds
of things don't necessarily  require huge changes in the game or state
of the art hardware and software.

The same kinds of changes could be suggested about a game like Sarah.
Now, I'm a big fan of SCW, play it all the time, but there are things
here and there I think would make the game just a bit better. One of
those is rather than faking 3d movement by having Sarah flying on the
broom by setting a flag it would be a bit more realistic to rewrite
the game with full realistic 3d movement so Sarah can fly up/down,
left/right, forward/backward on the broom in 3d space. The same holds
for the pond/lake where Sarah should be able to swim up/down,
left/right, forward/backward, but she can't. It would be nice to
rewrite the map of Hogwarts so the rooms line up on top of each other
rather than the basement being basically just another room or area of
the same floor. The problem is that everything in Sarah is pancake
flat and that's not at all realistic. It isn't something a mainstream
developer would necessarily do given the same type of game. However,
I'm well aware the GMA Engine doesn't really have the ability to do
what I suggest, which is too bad, but all the same that's not really
my point. Its just that we often get use to overlooking features and
development standards often found in the mainstream game industry when
creating a similar type of game, and I honestly feel that we are
cutting ourselves short because of it.

Cheers!