Hi Jeremy,

Right. In that way we are thinking quite a lot alike. We each see
things that could be improved, new types of games to add to the
community, and all of it is to the good.

I also like your idea of someone writing an article in the Audyssey
Magazine covering various development aspects like game ideas,
features, control features, level layouts, etc that have been
successful and that worked out well for the game players at large. I
myself am experimenting with such issues right now in Mysteries of the
Ancients as some of the features I've added were not really tried in
an audio only format before. One of those is an analog jump system.
Which isn't really hard to add, but has been largely avoided until
now.

Of course, analog jumping has been present in every mainstream game
from Montezuma's Revenge, to Donkey Kong, to Super Mario Brothers,
right up to the present. The problem with that is though that since
you have to time or gauge the length of a jump that sometimes requires
a bit of site to see weather or not you need to do a short hop, a
short jump, or a very big jump to overcome the trap ahead. One way I
have dealt with this issue is by changing the pitch of the pits so you
can hear if the pit is large or small. A large chasm will have a
deeper wind sound than a smaller one. If a player comes upon a deep
windy sounding pit sound he or she might consider giving Angela a
run-up before jumping. If the chasm wind sound sounds higher he or she
can try and perform a standing jump. It is actually pretty accessible,
and I've found analog jumping can be just as accessible in an audio
only format as in a video format.

The only catch I think I've ran into in regards to analog jumping is
the players themselves. Many of them are use to a fixed jump, IE a
fixed length to jump, and often let up on the jump keys too quick or
too late ending up in the fire, lava, spikes, etc. I think though that
this issue can be solved with time and practice as its a slightly more
advanced type of jump than they are use to and they need time and
practice to get use to it.