Good question, I can see I didn't do a very good job of explaining that.  When
I spoke of each unit's strength and defense, that was a general summary of the
unit which applies to it most of the time.  For example, that information is
good for when you are sending your troops against goblins or Yetti.  When going
up against human foes, there are a few extra rules that come in to play.
Knights receive an attack bonus when facing pikemen.  Pikemen get a bonus
against Cavalry, Cavalry bonus against Rangers, and rangers bonus against
Knights.  It's a little ring of attack power, so that each type of unit does
have something it is exceptionally good at attacking, but another thing that it
is more likely to be harmed by.  Hopefully that makes more sense now that I've
explained it a little more.