Hi Shaun,

I suppose. However, I think it is more to do with commercial verses
open source development procedures. commercial software companies
generally are very private and tight lipped about their products and
hate to give any information away that could be potentially used by
their competition. For them money is the bottom line and everything
tends to be put on a need to know basis. Open source developers are
not as worried about financial concerns, not too concerned about their
competition, and can afford to be more open and freely helpful when it
comes to how their software works. Simply put, open source developers
are more concerned about the needs of those who they are writing the
software for rather than how much money is going into their individual
pockets.

For example, the developer of NVDA says he started the project because
he was tired of paying hundreds of dollars on screen readers and other
adaptive technology. He believes that access to a computer should cost
us no more than the average sighted user. I agree, and am glad NVDA
exists for those who can't afford Jaws, Window-Eyes, SuperNova, etc.
In any case the developer realizes that there are people who can not
afford a high priced screen reader, and that equal access to a
computer shouldn't cost us hundreds perhaps thousands we don't
necessarily have to give. His bottomline is universl accessibility for
everyone not thousands of dollars a year on income from the project.
Therefore in the long run NVDA has a lot going for it, and may become
the screen reader of choice for the majority of blind users who don't
get Jaws from their state agency or employer.

Plus NVDA is based on an off the shelf language like Python. Adding
Python modules to extend specific application support isn't that hard
given all the Python 2.7 manuals are online and freely available. Jaws
on the other hand uses a proprietary scripting language, and unless
you can figure it out by reading the existing source Freedom
Scientific expects Jaws scripters to fly to Florida, pay the big
bucks, and take their scripting classes. They can go jump in a lake as
far as I'm concerned. Nobody should have to take special classes to
learn to get the most out of their screen reader. However, it is and
always has been just another way to make money off the product as you
know.

Cheers!