I like Dakota's ideas re: switch time and bad effects of low health.  Low
health could increase the effects of encumbrance.  Ok, how about this, put
an idea of fatigue into the mix, so that health gradually decreases as you
run and fight.  It decreases as well when you get hit.  Med packs still heal
you (they include stim patches or something like that) but perhaps they get
less effective over the course of time, until you go back to the safe zone
and actually heal.

I'm still in favor of permanent death.  Anything less reduces the stakes too
much for the suspense/horror feel of the setting.  This game should force
you into life&death emotional responses, rather than taking needless risks
because you know you can just reset and go back to a previous state.

I don't know about the spawn limit, if this is dependent on the server, then
we need the zombies to be deadlier.  Packs would make life harder, and more
sensitivity to shooting and other noises.  I do like that walking is
stealthier than running.  One of my favorite configurations is the silenced
pistol and hunting slowly and quietly.

                Chris Bartlett