Are we still talking about a game here or a simulation. Because to me at
least that's what this is starting to sound like.

-----Original Message-----
From: gamers-boun...@audyssey.org [mailto:gamers-boun...@audyssey.org] On
Behalf Of Dakotah Rickard
Sent: Tuesday, November 08, 2011 8:07 AM
To: Gamers Discussion list
Subject: Re: [Audyssey] Swamp reflections.

There, at least according to Jeremy, is a consequence of death, at least
once the safe zone becomes a storehouse. Unless I misread something, you
drop whatever you were carrying when you die, once that's in effect. Imagine
you're walking around with a rather difficult to find, rather expensive
weapon. You die, and it's gone.
That'd suck enough to discourage death, even if you do just go back to the
last save state. Add to that that if the save hasn't happened anytime soon,
as has happened to me on a crash situation, you may lose a lot of collected
ammo and earned kills. Death sucks, even without it being permanent.

Now, I do say this. I personally love the idea of permanent death, just not
in this setting. I don't have anything explicitly against it, just that I
think it doesn't add to the story line or really too much to the setting,
although it does make you more  careful. Instead, it can frustrate longtime
players, if their awesome character dies.
That's why so few games include a really permanent death.

As for the fatigue aspect, I'd like it for people to be tired after running
a lot. I know I'd be. Granted, I'm not in the best shape, but I imagine
anyone would be tired after running/jogging around for hours. The game Alone
in the Dark features a fairly in shape detective who eventually starts
staggering if you make him run too much, because he gets fatigued. I don't
know that fighting should add to this, as most fighting is done with guns.
True, firing a gun isn't necessarily easy, but it isn't truly strenuous on
its own. It makes, I think, more sense to just include fatigue for running.
It's a bit more work on the server, what with it needing, probably, two
timers for each character:
a "how long you've been running" and a "how long you've been not running."
Still, walking rocks and it makes sense.

I like the idea for the medkits to be less effective, but I don't think it
should involve the safe zone. If the zone becomes so important, people won't
leave it. it's already the store, warehouse, save point, and possibly
doctor's office. If it becomes the reset point for your medkits'
effectiveness, people may not leave. However, I can suggest an alternative
that may be acceptable, though it would involve another timer. Medkits
should maybe have a cool down period.
Not that you can't use another one, just that it loses, say, 20 percent of
its effectiveness if delivered within a certain time, or that percentage of
loss could depend on how soon.

For example: Bob takes a medkit, which gives him a 20 percent health boost
to put him at 50 percent health. A timer starts in the program.
The maximum time is 3 minutes. Within the first 30 seconds, the medkit is
only 25 percent effective, delivering 5 percent health to Bob. The next
thirty seconds restores the medkit to 50 percent effectiveness, delivering
10 health. From there, 5 percent effectiveness is restored to the medkit for
each thirty seconds. So the patern is like this:
first 30 seconds is +5 health, second 30 seconds is +10 percent, third
thirty is 12 percent, fourth thirty is 14 percent, fifth thirty is 16
percent, sixth thirty is 18 percent, and after that the medkit is restored
to full effectiveness.

That was long and complicated, and I hope it made sense.

Signed:
Dakotah Rickard

_____________ NOD32 EMON 6610 (20111108) information _____________

http://www.eset.com