Hi Shaun,

Yes, it is. Just about any fairly up to date text to speech
application like TextAloud or Swift Talker will allow you to open and
read a text document which has been tagged using xml or ssml speech
tags and give you real time changes in speech as it reads. Its more
natural that way. I've tried it with the Ivona 2 and Cepstral 5.2
voices and it works quite well.

More importantly for us as gamers we can take greater control over how
certain voices will react in a game. In a game like football you could
conceivably change the announcers voice on the fly to add a bit more
realism to the speech output like increase the volume when the
announcer yells touchdown or add more emphasis to a specific play
announcement. You can add special effects tags to fit the current
ambiance. So I think SAPI 5.3 and SAPI 5.4 have a lot going for them
once more voices and applications support the updates.

Cheers!