The Axe is very much a skill based weapon in that regard.  The attack range is
slightly longer than the zombie's reach, so if you strike at just the right
moment and then move back, you will cleave the monster but never give it a
chance to slash back.  I have witnessed a few people pulling this off with
great skill, while the myself and the rest are still trying to get the hang of
it.  lol.