Hi phil,
hmm, that is odd man, i used the vulcan in single player mode with no issues on this end. i set up shop in the central swamp in single player mode and went to town mowing down zombies with the vulcan. i think maybe the slowed down movement is on purpose, so you don't just cruise around with a devestating weapon full of ammo, but i'm not sure. for those of you new to the game, you hav to hit the t key to set upthe the vulcan before you can fire it.
  later
che