Hi Quentin,

I've worked with JNI before on prior projects, but I don't think I
want to convert my games to Java. What I am likely to do myself is
upgrade the .Net version of my engine because its a lot easier to work
with than the current C++ version of the engine. Its very object
oriented like Java, is cross-platform using Mono, and I can access
DirectX via SlimDX. Plus I've already got a working engine. It just
needs to be updated to .Net 4.0 and have Managed DirectX replaced
using SlimDX instead.

However, I hear you about C. Its not that object oriented, and working
in C++ is difficult for large projects. I know I am getting fairly
annoyed with handling string conversions etc as it is 10 times more
difficult than it needs to be. In C# .Net if I want to convert an
integer variable to a string just do
number.ToString()
and it is done. In C I have to use a function like itoa() to convert
an integer  variable to a character string. Then, if I want to pass it
off to SAPI or Jaws I have to convert that from a char to to wchar
which is enough to drive anyone up the wall. Not to mention strcmp()
for comparing strings, strcpy() for copying one string to another, and
several other helper functions that are easier in .Net. So its things
like that I want to avoid in future projects myself.

Cheers!