Never thought of it that way.  That's a good analogy.

To: "Gamers Discussion list" <gamers@audyssey.org>
Sent: Sunday, April 22, 2012 6:04 AM
Subject: Re: [Audyssey] LWorks

Hi Dark,

Yeah, touchscreens can be nice once you get use to them. I didn't find them as difficult as I thought they'd be, but there apparently not for everybody. Like everything else in life it all depends on how much effort, time, and energy you are willing to commit to learning the new interface.

The best way I can describe it is cane travel verses a dog guide. With cane travel a blind person uses his/her cane to stay in contact with the world around them such as the tree lawn, walls, staircases, parked cars, etc. With a guide dog the dog avoids polls, trash bins, parked cars, and just about everything a blind cane traveler is taught to use as landmarks. The difference between a keyboard and touchscreen is similar.

With a keyboard or keypad there are buttons and keys in the same place that a blind person can use to orient himself or herself with. With a touchscreen it is a flat plastic surface with no physical landmarks to orient the blind user. Instead a blind user must use his/her memory and mental image of the screen layout to point at a specific area of the screen and tap the correct icon, menu option, etc. On the iPhone, at least, it helps that you get some verbal feedback as to what you are doing.

This is nothing more than a hunch but I'm guessing people who are having trouble with touchscreens have a very poor sense of spacial orientation. They have difficulty visualizing the locations of things on the screen and aren't sure where to put their fingers to activate a certain icon etc. They are easily confused by the user interface because they are unable to form a mental image of the screen and how it is laid out for the sighted user.