From: gamers-boun...@audyssey.org [mailto:gamers-boun...@audyssey.org] On
Behalf Of dark
Sent: 08 August 2012 16:37
To: Gamers@audyssey.org
Subject: [Audyssey] Mapping, item collecting and puzzles in games

i was just watching a lets play of metroid Zero mission, the gameboy
advanced remake of the original metroid game, when it occurred to me that
there are a couple of very simple additions that audio games could cinclude
which would greatly enhance gameplay, additions that made games like zelda
and the metroid series famous.

Ignoring the 2D aspect (which we've discussed before), there is the basic
formular of such games, a formular that would translate just as well into
for instance an fps game. Your in a large, freely explorable maze full of
monsters. you have one infinitely useable main weapon (the metroid gun or
Link's sword in the Zelda games), which starts off comparatively weak. As
you progress through the maze you will come to areas which you cannot pass
without a given item, and items which you can use to pass certain areas,
---- often requiring you to take note of areas you've passed and go back.

"oh, so that special gun upgrade blows up brick walls, ---- now where did I
pass a brick wall before?"

So collecting these key items and using them to expand the parts of the maze
you can get to forms the bulk of the game, ---- especially sinse of course
there are large and nasty boss monster to be killed along the way.

In addition to your main weapon, You also have some limited use more
powerfull items, and scattered around the maze are expantion packs for those
items, items that let you hold more energy when you start, items that let
you have more amo for limited use items etc.

These expantions are scattered around the maze, often in far out of the way
places requiring lots of exploring to find, and it's fully expected that a
player won't find all of them on their first run through the game.

All of these items are in fixed places rather than appearing at random,
sinse it is the players' ability to systematically explore the maze, perhaps
passing puzzles along the way that will determine how many expantion items
she/he collects, perhaps with a reward for collecting all of them, making
this a game where you have to try, and learn, and progress, rather than wait
to be randomly lucky with a monster drop for your items.

An engine like that employed in shades of doom could well include these
sorts of gameplay elements, indeed there's no reason why they haven't been
used in an audio game thus far, accept that from what I can gather the fps
titles we've had have tended to be based on randomly occurring items and
fast action, rather than acquiring more and more items and making your
character more powerful as time passes, which is a shame, sinse the
exploration formular is one which is hugely rewarding to play.

the only audio games I think that have come close to this sort of formular
are Airic the clerric (though I don't think Airik had any none usefull items
or expantions to collect that weren't really part of the progression of the
game), sarah, (though there you didn't really grow more powerfull rather
than complete puzzles), and I believe kurt wolf.

But perhaps this is something Phil, Tom, Aprone,  and other of our devs
could considder as a design point, ---- sinse if the game has many items and
a complex map structure, exploration and gradual acquisition of both key
items and items providing extra power can actually be as much if not more
fun than randomly occurring ones.

All the best,

-----
No virus found in this message.