Hi Dark,

I've thought of doing this many times, but as has already ben said the
problem is time. I could spend x hours thinking of nifty ways to hide
items, to add unlockable content, etc but unfortunately most users
will have solved the puzzles in a week reducing the replay value of
the game.

For instance, all of the Tomb Raider games are good about putting
items in very unusual locations.Sometimes items are hidden inside
other items such as a med kit hidden inside a saramic jar. Either that
or there is a maze of sorts required to locate a certain item such as:
climb a stone wall to a ledge, run and jump onto a hire ledge, then
jump from that ledge a few feet away, and look in a niche to find an
artifact or weapon. That's cool, but how many hours did the
programmers spend thinking up and then coding all that extra content
into the game just to get that one specific item. Its not beyond an
independent developer's abilities to do, but it will take a lot more
extra time to think up and then program.

The other issue is how to draw a blind gamer's attention to the secret
stash. In games like Tomb Raider the niche is visible, but fits into
the background so well that a person may miss it a few times when
playing. In addition there are niches placed in the game that contain
nothing which are a bit of a red haring. I suppose a person could have
a hot key that speaks something like, "niche above and to the right 3
meters." That might work from an accessibility standpoint, but if you
have to tell someone where the niche in the wall is that is as good as
giving away half the secret right there.

About the only way I can see to kind of hide items is to use pictures
or images in various rooms. That is have it mention there is a picture
on the wall in each room. Some are nothing more than pictures, but if
you press enter on the right one it will swing out revealing a hidden
corridor or perhaps a niche in the wall where goodies are stached.
This forces the player to try each and every picture in the game to
find out if items are hidden behind it.