The only real problem with this design is the relatively short amount of time
it takes players to find everything, and then the game loses its re
playability.  Lets, for example, pretend Swamp was filled with these sorts of
"keys" which were specifically placed and would unlock other specific areas.
If I were to spend 30 hours linking together 50 items with locations, naming
them, placing them, and actually designing the new map terrain, I can bet that
within a few days 300 players would have already completed the entire thing.
These players would be waiting on me to add more.  For every hour I spent
adding in new items, I would only be occupying the players for maybe 3 or 4.

When we use random items that don't unlock new map content, the 50 items can be
created in an hour instead of 30.  The same items can also then be found and
re-found over and over to keep players entertained.  It isn't as much fun,
there is no doubt about that, but it's an unfortunate compromise in the battle
between developer effort verses hours of player enjoyment.