On Wed, June 1, 2011 16:02, Dalibor Topic wrote:
> On 6/1/11 3:25 PM, Mark Wielaard wrote:
>
>> But
>> also grants rights nobody seems to think are a good idea. Like allowing
>> Oracle to take contributions, transform them into specifications,
>> reference implementations and JSRs
>
> I'll come out and say that I think being able to use work done in
> OpenJDK in reference implementations and JSRs is a good idea.

Of course, that is a good idea, if these reference implementations
and JSRs are free and open. You left out the end of my sentence:

> that then come with terms that actively hurt openjdk contributors
> by being GPL-hostile and/or blocking other free software projects
> from implementing the same contributions.

As happened with JSR 336 for example [*]. All I wanted to point out is
that there might be unforeseen consequences of contributing where those
who collaborate on the open, free, GPLed implementation that is being
standardized aren’t actually allowed to use the finalized specification,
reference implementation and compatibility testsuite to check their own
work. I don't want to contribute if I know something like that could
happen to my contribution. So I think it is a good idea to have
some safeguard against that.

Cheers,

Mark

[*]