On Aug 7, 2009, at 8:52 AM, Bertrand Delacretaz wrote:

On Fri, Aug 7, 2009 at 5:27 PM, Niall
Pemberton<niall.pember...@gmail.com> wrote:
On Fri, Aug 7, 2009 at 10:01 AM, Bertrand
Delacretaz<bdelacre...@apache.org> wrote:
...I would oppose to a podling with no code base and no @apache.org names in the list of initial committers - the chances of morphing that into
a working Apache project would seem to slim to me.

I don't understand this, any proposal is going to need some mentors to
get accepted, so if there members of the IPMC are willing to oversee
this, why would you want to add an additional requirement of existing
committers? I thought the idea to incubator was "low entry barrier,
high exit barrier"....

I was imagining a bunch of unknown people coming up with a vague idea
for a project, and no code...to that would seem too risky to warrant
dedicating resources to a podling.

Now, if mentors were enthusiastic about that podling, why not...that's
kind of a rethorical question anyway, as in the present case Noah
indicates that there is a group of experienced people.

Let's see their proposal then, but from what I've seen in this thread
I'm positive about it.

I agree. If unknown people can generate enough interest from mentors to get them to volunteer why stop them. OTOH, I would suggest that mentors should be extra cautious in accepting and particularly watchful as the project starts.

Ralph