On 2 April 2013 22:18, Benson Margulies <bimargul...@gmail.com> wrote:

> Ross' proposal sacrifices some egalitarianism
> to achieve better scaling of both decision-making and supervision.

It is not my intention to sacrifice some egalitarianism. My intention is to
allow those who have signed up to mentor projects to get on with mentoring
them without the well-meaning interference of a large body of ill-informed
bystanders (with respect to individual projects needs). This involves both
decision-making and supervision. In this regard I believe my proposal is
similar in intent to Chris M's. However, unlike Chris I don't see the IPMC
failing in this regard. Usually it does a great job.

Where my proposal differs from Chris' is in the oversight role of the IPMC.
I see oversight as the vital function of the collective IPMC, it is
the ability to identify when mentors and their podlings need additional
support as they progress towards graduation. When mentors are doing fine
this part of the IPMC role is just a case of signing off the board report.
It's when something needs adjusting that the IPMC becomes inefficient. It
is this aspect that I am seeking improvement for.

BUT...

Maybe these situations are rare enough to not worry too much about it and
rather than change the structure of the IPMC we simply look to thrash out
the odd issue that arises, one at a time. For the record I am pleased that
you pushed for a change in voting rules driven by a consensus issue. Maybe
we just need more of that on the odd occasionally becomes necessary.

Ross