As far as I understand your comment, Ant, you mean to say that he problem
is that there is too much variation in opinion and approach. (Primarily, I
understand, in relation to releases.)

This doesn't seem related to the size of the PMC, to me. We're always going
to need a large pool of people with the ability to cast binding votes on
releases. (Just because of the effort involved.) So whether those people
are on the PMC or whether we allow non-PMC mentors to exist and have
binding votes — it makes no difference. We still end up with a large pool
of people with wildly diverging approaches and world-views.

That seems like a different sort of problem to me. Perhaps a documentation
problem. Perhaps the recent suggestion to spin out the documenting of
policy and guidelines to ComDev — or some proposal like it — could improve
that situation. The problem seems larger than the Incubator in any case. I
get the strong impression that from TLP to TLP, people are doing things
very differently. (And this is where our mentors are recruited from.)

--
NS