Hi Jason,

I am not a lawyer, and the following only represents my personal voice, not
necessarily that of the ASF or my employer.

While DataStax objecting to this proposal will potentially block the incubation
of a project based on the Titan codebase at the ASF, it will not prevent the
same thing from happening elsewhere (i.e. outside the ASF). I think the Titan
community would love to see this project come to the ASF. I see a strong
community behind it that is more than capable of maintaining a fork of the
project outside the auspices of the ASF.

DataStax has a close relationship with the ASF for obvious reasons. I know you
are a member of the DataStax legal team, but has DataStax leadership considered
the implications of this response from a public relations perspective as well
as an ASF community perspective? The ASF holds communities in the highest
regard. This action seems counter to that tenet, and would also seem to counter
DataStax’ support of the ASF. Again, these are not legal arguments, so I would
hope that you would forward my sentiments on to the folks at DataStax who are
concerned with the DataStax Corporate Image.

This is a potential opportunity for DataStax to reaffirm its commitment to Open
Source Software, as well the ASF and the communities it serves.

-Taylor