I’m kind of curious how we’d apply our “Community over Code” credo to a
situation like this.

It sounds like DataStax acquired a “community” centred on a product that had
been open-sourced by its previous steward.  And now their legal department is
re-asserting control over the product.  Fair enough, but if there’s a community
that wants to carry on development against a product that was properly and
fairly ASL2 licensed, does the acquirer have the right to shut them down?  They
certainly could assert control over the trademark that they own, but what if
the community called it something else and carried on (which we generally
require of an incubator product anyway)?

I’m obviously thinking of Hudson and Jenkins here - the community forked the
code over a weekend, and Oracle was left with a dead product.  When they
asserted ownership of the “Hudson” trademark, the community simply said “OK,
it’s Jenkins now”, and carried on.

If they had come to Apache, would we have shown them the door, for legalistic
reasons? ( I don’t recall them coming to Apache at the time, but I could be
wrong).  Is it a “hostile fork” if the bulk of the community is in favour, and
it’s only the trademark owner that demurs?

It seems to me that one of the goals of Apache is to have a “neutral” corporate
entity to host open-source projects under open but orderly governance, so that
an open-source project stands a chance of outlasting the mercurial whims of a
commercial entity (and also of individual maintainers).

So I wonder if we’re being a little quick to shut down a community that wants
open governance.

Cheers,

Greg Trasuk