Edwin,

on 6/21/01 7:16 AM, "Edwin Martin" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> org.apache.regexp 1.2 is pretty much broken. It has some
> major flaws since 1.0 and they are still not addressed.
>
> See http://nagoya.betaversion.org/bugzilla/buglist.cgi?product=Regexp
> for a list of bugs (BTW none of them is assigned).

Sending in bug reports doesn't get the problems fixed. This is a community
of VOLUNTEERS. You can't just magically put in a bug report and then someone
is going to jump up and fix it...you have to submit patches or try to nicely
motivate people to fix it for you.

<http://jakarta.apache.org/site/understandingopensource.html>

"With the opensource system, if you find any deficiency in the project, the
onus is on you to redress that deficiency."

> Maybe it's better to just throw regexp out of the window and
> use Sun's "official" regex.

Sun's "official" regex isn't available on a wide scale and won't be for
quite some time. People are talking about JDK 1.4 like they are going to
upgrade immediately when it took at least 2-3 years for people to even start
to stop supporting JDK 1.1!!!! Some projects still haven't stopped! Not only
that, but you also have to worry about platform support. It takes years for
all of the platforms to support the latest and greatest JDK. It is also only
going to get more difficult as the JDK's get more complicated to implement
and port.

You have also seemed to forget (or not understand) the following:

#1. Before Jakarta Regexp there was NO solution that was under a BSD'ish
license. I was the one who made the effort to go out and find *something*
that we could use. It wasn't perfect, but it was a start.

#2. That prompted Daniel to change his license on his software as well as
donate his code base to us. You now have the distinct advantage of TWO regex
packages available under a BSD'ish license to choose from. Each one has its
faults and benefits...choice is a good thing.

Lastly, Regexp is not an easy problem to solve perfectly. Daniel has been
working on the ORO package for YEARS now and is still fixing bugs in it or
adding new features.

What makes you think that the Sun Regex package is going to come out in JDK
1.4 and be perfectly implemented? Even if the API is good (which Daniel has
already stated that it sucks) there will still be show stopper bugs in it
that YOU CANNOT FIX!!!!!!!!!!! because: 1) it is part of the standard JDK,
2) has a standard JDK release cycle and 3) YOU DO NOT HAVE THE ABILILTY TO
EASILY AND DIRECTLY INFLUENCE THE SOURCE CODE DEVELOPMENT.

Sigh.

-jon

your pain to new levels. --Anonymous