[ -- cut -- ]

| A couple of years ago, Rick Ross wrote an editorial about the problem of
| Sun putting Java companies out of business by putting the functionality
| of their products into the Java core ("Tools Before Jewels", Java Developer's
| Journal, April 1999 http://www.sys-con.com/java/archives/subscribe/0404/)

[ -- cut -- ]

| It's unfortunate that the JCP is leading to the unnecessary bloat of the
| Java core by introducing functionality that is already provided by
| numerous third-parties

Isn't it actually quite cool that Sun is including lots of functionality
with it's Java core? I kind of feel that this is among what makes Java so
extremely cool, that a _lot_ of commonly used functionality is already in
the core. And you're guaranteed that it will be there when you deploy your
little program somewhere else. This, of course, especially goes for the
native parts of the language, like GUI and Connections and other HW
interfacing parts.

If you look at it this way, then I feel that Sun is doing the right thing.
If a company comes up with something really smart, why shouldn't Sun
include it? Make a similar/better core-part of it? I feel that it's
_really_ cool that this happens, it makes the Java language evolve and
stay up-to-date.
  But, if they use it exclusively to close down competiotion, then they're
not much better than MS. But I have this good trust and faith in Sun, Sun
is Cool, Sun is Nice (brainwashed some time ago ;), and I believe that
they do most of their stuff "to be nice"..

But yes, I do agree that it might seem like the JCP is way to closed, and
that Sun and their heavy _money_ partners (but not necessarily with that
much more _brains_ than the OS community) should listen to feedback a bit
more.

--
Mvh,
Endre