> Torque doesn't have a 'newer design'. It has a more mature design. Torque
> has been around for about 3-4 years now.

SQL's been around for 20. APIs to create SQL statements have been
around for about as long.

> > Which has advantages over O/R, which is the reason not everyone uses O/R
> > for everything. I'd say it is a choice instead of a problem.
>
> Right...like using JSP over Velocity is a choice. That said, JSP still
> sucks. :-)

A strange comparison. JSP and Velocity fulfill the same use case, where
JSP does it badly and Velocity rocks. That is nto the case here.

> >>     What is the benefit of using crossdb over Torque?
> >
> > You do not have to use an O/R layer that abstracts you away from the
> > database you are using so much that it limits your ability to use the
> > DB's functionality in something resembling a db-natural way.
>
> That is like trying to argue that using ECS is the way to write HTML.

It is not. How easy (or sensible) is it to call an ancient stored
procedure written in a procedural language using Torque?

> > While these may not be accurate summaries, I hope you now do see that
> > CrossDB and Torque are not, in the majority of use cases, alternatives
> > to one another.
>
> I'm sorry. I don't see that. Torque can do everything crossdb can do and
> more.

Since you're talking examples, let me as well:

I have a 25 year old banking application, for which was written 12 years
ago an SQL layer to integrate it with the newer tools. To this was added,
6 years ago, another layer that used stored procedures for everything.
Then, 3 years ago, a tool was written to pipe all info from that db, using
the stored procedures, into pgsql to hook up to JSP and the internet.

I want to have a jar file that can be used to talk to the stored
procedure layer, the piping tool, the pgsql database and also the 12 year
old SQL layer because I discovered lost functionality there that I need
for the new eCommerce stuff.
This will be used in the existing JSP application as well as in a new
management console, where the management console should also be able to
talk to a much newer database application running Oracle.

You can probably figure out a design where Torque fits in. But it wouldn't
really be the right tool for the job. I don't know whether CrossDB is, but
its use case description fits rather nicely.

- Leo