From: "Pier Fumagalli" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>

> "Nicola Ken Barozzi" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>
> > What is the way that *any* community decides in voting?
> >
> > You *are* a member of the community even if you do not have an account.
> >
> > http://xml.apache.org/roles.html   :
> > "
> > Developers
> >
> > Developers are the people who write code or documentation patches or
> > contribute positively to the project in other ways. A developer's
> > contribution is always recognized. In source code, all developers who
> > contribute to a source file may add their name to the list of authors
for
> > that file.
> > "
> >
> > A developer *is* part of the community.
> >
> > This is how it works on the Cocoon, Forrest and POI projects AFAIK.
> >
> > It seems that you are trying to put on paper that developers that are
not
> > committers have to be listed.
> >
> > It can be done, but why?
>
> Nicola, you might as well ask Stefano who wrote that page... I want to
point
> out one little paragraph below the one you mentioned:
>
> "A Committer has write access to the source code repository and gains
voting
> rights allowing them to affect the future of the subproject."
>
> A developer, at the end of the day, doesn't have the right to vote. When
it
> comes to numbers, he is worth less than zero... I'm sorry, but this is how
> OUR reality is right now, because we didn't think about it in the first
> place when this project (or XML) were founded (and you can trust me
because
> I was there, both times)...

It does have the right to vote, but it's not binding (at least this is what
Stefano told me two weeks ago).

I don't want developers that are not committers to vote: a vote is important
for the future of the project, and the future of Apache.

Should we give votes to developers that are not interested in the future of
Apache?

            - verba volant, scripta manent -