On Dec 22, 2003, at 7:31 PM, Dain Sundstrom wrote:

On Dec 22, 2003, at 6:13 PM, Geir Magnusson Jr. wrote:

On Dec 22, 2003, at 7:07 PM, Dain Sundstrom wrote:

On Dec 22, 2003, at 5:58 PM, Geir Magnusson Jr. wrote:

On Dec 22, 2003, at 6:23 PM, Dain Sundstrom wrote:

Larry,

I'm surprised that no one answered this (at least that I saw). From what I understand, ASF believes that those on PMC have liability protection from the ASF because the PMC members are acting on behalf of the organization. Further is it seems that the ASF does not believe this protection extends to those not in the PMC (this is my personal logical conclusion based on statements around why someone would like to join a PMC). This protection is usually referenced when people talk about IP, and I'm not sure if it extends to other areas.

I'm not aware of an official statement on this, but it would be nice to have one.

I did respond. As I understand it, here is no protection for PMC members except for the chair, if he or she was acting on behalf of the corporation in good faith.

Sorry missed your reply. From what I have seen there are vastly differing opinions on this matter (from ranking people in ASF). Anyway, it would be nice to see something official on this matter, but it is a legal matter and therefore unlikely to happen (at least anytime soon ;)

Feel free to send them to me. I'm interested. I'll be happy to report back a summary or correction.

I doubt the ASF wants me to make declarations about what legal protections they provide to PMC members. Even if they did want me to come up with a straw man, I wouldn't even know where to start.

LOL. I meant if you have references to emails and such :)

And if you don't know Larry, he's a well-known attorney specializing in OSS matters.

I know Larry. He used to a company I used to do business with.

Ah Sorry. :)

AHHH... can't type today. Meant to write "He use to *represent* a company..."

I guessed. That or 'sued'.

:D

geir

-dain