lurker wrote:
When I set up that chroot I didn't know that catalyst was able to
generate x86 stages from amd64 systems, so that was my reason for
creating it. I will install catalyst and genkernel on my main system
instead and work from there, and if that fails upgrading to the latest
versions.

You don't need genkernel on your host system. It's emerged inside catalyst's chroot when it's needed.

But even if that fixes it, I would very much like to know what was going
on. From my debugging I have pretty much confirmed that it's that
find/cpio call that fails, but I cannot grasp why at all. Few bugs have
left me this perplexed.

We are right in the middle of a release cycle with a couple of people doing repeated catalyst builds, and nobody is hitting this bug.

--
Andrew Gaffney                                 http://dev.gentoo.org/~agaffney/
Gentoo Linux Developer             Catalyst/Installer + x86 release coordinator