Timothy Redaelli <dri...@gentoo.org> posted
200904061132.26894.dri...@gentoo.org, excerpted below, on  Mon, 06 Apr
2009 11:32:21 +0200:

> I only take the idea. I don't care about who has it ;)

Who has it isn't a particular problem, but in the context you mentioned,
whether it has been patented unfortunately is. =:^(

But thankfully I'm not aware of any Gentoo PM patents, and yes, some way
of getting exactly what's applied to the package would be useful.  Of
course, a simple --pretend yields the package-specific USE flags, but
there's no way to see the effect of what's in /etc/portage/env, for
instance (and /etc/portage/patches for those still running Ed Catmur's
patching scripts stuff, which sure helps when one is grabbing patches off
bugs, google, etc, to allow building a particular package with a new gcc,
for instance!), without specifically asking.

Well, most of it can be seen by studying the emerge output logs, but
that's package maintainer level, not something bug wranglers should have
to do.  If there was a nice neat post-env post-patch-script report that
summarized everything nicely for the wranglers, it would certainly help
-- and could go a long way toward encouraging integration of something
similar to those patch scripts directly in portage, as well.