On Mon, 13 Apr 2009 23:50:07 +0200
Sebastian Pipping <webmas...@hartwork.org> wrote:
> Ciaran McCreesh wrote:
> > Taking any of it out would be
> > removing things that are required to determine the cause of a bug.
>
> I doubt that's true in most cases:  The information needed to
> finding the bug is a (possibly small) subset of the whole.

Yes, but the computer doesn't know which subset it is, just like it
doesn't know which subset of emerge --info is useful. There's nothing
in there that's never relevant.

> I don't see how additionally providing a stripped down version of
> paludis info hurts anybody, as the subset either holds what the
> wrangler needs or it doesn't, in which case they can still request
> more information for the reporter.

Or we could just provide the information the wrangler will need
straight away. Much easier.

> I suggest that you take this as a usability request from the users
> of your software.  Isn't that a great chance to make several people
> happier every day in the future by just a few lines of code on your
> end? Would they raise their voice if it did not matter?

This isn't a usability request. Making the "use paludis --info cat/pkg"
text stand out more was a usability request, and I was happy to make
that change. This is a few noxious trolls whining in an attempt to cause
trouble.

--
Ciaran McCreesh