On Tue, Aug 8, 2017 at 10:11 AM, Kristian Fiskerstrand <k...@gentoo.org> wrote:
> On 08/08/2017 06:37 PM, William L. Thomson Jr. wrote:
>> I make a lot of binaries for use on other systems, to expedite updates.
>> It does not make sense for some packages to ever be a binary package.
>
> Any particular reason this decision shouldn't be left to the operator of
> the binhost rather than the package maintainer? it can already be
> controlled through env files.

Perhaps, but I could see some value in having some way to mark
packages that don't compile anything.  This could also overlap
somewhat with the desire to track arch-independent packages for
stabilization purposes.  I could see it being useful to be able to
obtain a list of all the binary packages in the Gentoo repo for QA
purposes/etc as well.

Maybe it isn't a flag that outright blocks binary package building,
but a way to mark such packages so that a user can apply a policy on
top of this.

Whether it belongs in the ebuild, or in metadata, is another matter.

--
Rich