On 08/08/2017 07:23 PM, William L. Thomson Jr. wrote:
> Can you think of any? I cannot see any operator wanting a binary of a
> binary, or a package of sources. When they already have a sources

 - The machine you're installing it on might not have internet access so
you want to have the files stored in a single location for wrapping it up.

 - You might want an audit trail of installed packages, so using the
binary files on specific media ensures same copy is installed everywhere

 - You might be applying local patches through /etc/portage/patches that
are distributed to all clients

On 08/08/2017 07:23 PM, William L. Thomson Jr. wrote:
>> it can already be controlled through env files.
> I was thinking it might, but having used them to skip other hooks. I
> was thinking they could not be used as such for binary packages. Have
> you confirmed such is possible?  Could you provide a link or example?
> Thanks!

try something like:
/etc/portage/env/nobin:
FEATURES="-buildpkg"

/etc/portage/package.env/nobin:
sys-kernel/gentoo-sources nobin

--
Kristian Fiskerstrand
OpenPGP keyblock reachable at hkp://pool.sks-keyservers.net