On Wed, Jul 04, 2018 at 07:21:53PM +1200, Kent Fredric wrote:
> On Tue, 3 Jul 2018 12:39:43 -0500
> William Hubbs <willi...@gentoo.org> wrote:
>
> > I don't care that we have a wiki, but can we please look into killing
> > mediawiki and look at something with a git backend? It would be very
> > nice to be able to edit wiki pages in markdown or another similar format
> > and use git to control the changes instead of editing in a browser.
>
> 1. Who are the primary beneficiaries of this suggestion?:
>
>   a. People with expert knowledge of development systems and people
>      with Gentoo Privileges
>
>   b. End users who may not be experts, in all things development, but
>      may be able to contribute and consume content.

Anyone really could benefit from it. The replacements are wikis, so if
you want to edit via the web like you do now, that's still available.

> 2. What compromises in flexibility does this create? Eg: Do suggested
>    replacements have capacity to have arbitrary HTML and templating? Or
>    are they restricted to the terribly narrow featureset of Markdown?

 Several of them support multiple formats, so that would depend on the
 replacement chosen.

> If you're optimising for 1-a and your choice of compromise results in a
> reduction in functionality with regards to clear, flexible, and
> expressive content, it will be hard to sell me on the idea.

Yes I would benefit from this change, but it is not a case of optimizing
for one. It is a case of opening up the use of the wiki to the largest
audiance possible. This is just good universal design.

Thanks,

William