On Wed, Jul 06, 2022 at 02:42:34PM +0200, Florian Schmaus wrote:
> On 04/07/2022 17.27, David Seifert wrote:
> > Ultimately, all these things really matter when only the defaults
> > change. Turn-right-on-red in the US is such a thing, because unless
> > otherwise stated, it's the norm. Knowing our devbase, with roughly 75%
> > mostly AWOL and barely reading the MLs, I don't think this idea will
> > bring about the desired change.
>
> This sounds like you assume that the majority of Gentoo devs are OK with
> other people making changes to their packages. This very well could be
> true, but without an indication you never know if the maintainer feels
> this way.

I was on vacation when this thread started, so that's why I'm responding
now.

The default assumption according to the dev manual is that maintainers
are not ok with others touching their packages without permission except
for very trivial changes. IMO this is the safer default.

https://devmanual.gentoo.org/general-concepts/package-maintainers/index.html

> > Instead, we should really just go for
> > the <non-maintainer-commits-disallowed/> tag, because my feeling is that
> > the default will be that most maintainers don't mind non-maintainer
> > commits, except a select few territorial ones.
>
> It appears that we have at least two options here:
>
> A) Establish that the default is non-maintainer-commits-welcome, and
> introduce a <non-maintainer-commits-disallowed/> metadata element.

 This would go against the default from the dev manual, so if we go with
 it, which I do not recommend, we should fix the dev manual.

> B) Declare the default to be unspecified and introduce two metadata
> elements: <non-maintainer-commits-welcome/> and
> <non-maintainer-commits-disallowed/>.
>
> I think you are proposing A) here, but please correct me if I am wrong.
>
> Personally I would tend to B). But I have no strong opinion on this, as
> long as some kind of signalling is established.
>
> How do others feel about this?

I would suggest the default be consistent with the dev manual and we add
a <non-maintainer-commits-welcome/> element.

William