On Wednesday 19 February 2003 8:02 am, Andrew Dacey wrote:
> [...]

Well, I guess that's where you and I differ. I don't think they work at all
the same. I see Gentoo's run levels as more like BSD than RH.

Really, the service script is only about one thing.

Abstraction.

If I have a room full of several differing servers and I'm and admin, the last
thing I want to have to remember in the heat of the moment is how to do
something on _this_ machine.

Stopping and starting services is one of the admins primary job.

All the service script does is abstract the stopping and starting of servers
so you no longer need to know which directory to look in to find the scripts.
Perhaps you have never dealt with a room full of a hundred different servers,
but anything we can do to help that guy out will be appreciated.

Other than abstraction of where the service files lie, the service script is
of no use whatsoever.