I heard Phil Barnett said:

> If I have a room full of several differing servers and I'm and admin,
> the last thing I want to have to remember in the heat of the moment
> is how to do something on _this_ machine.

Hmm, then I'd say it's pretty much -your- responsibility, not Gentoo's,
to add this abstraction layer the way -you- want it.

I mean, you want your room full of servers working the RH way, and
that's fine, but other people may very well prefer their abstraction to
work the Debian or the BSD way, and there is no compelling reason for
Gentoo to favor a system over any other. (If anything, the Gentoo way
is IMO more modern and more powerful, so I'd rather port it to other
distros than the other way around!)

Besides, it's not like writing this abstraction layer was anywhere near
difficult, as the many fine scripts already posted here show. :)

Good luck with Gentoo, Phil, I hope you'll enjoy it!

-- S.