On 06/26/2014 05:57 AM, Alan McKinnon wrote:

> Take care of the environmental factors, and statistics fall in your
> favour making the odds good you'll get the life you expect

Yep, but sometimes crap just fails for no reason whatsoever. As an
example, my old house had central A/C and never went above 23.5 C in the
summer and was typically 19 C in winter. All machines on their own UPS
boxes. Oddly enough most failures I've seen were from drives on 24x7 and
for whatever reason I had to shut them down and they would not power up
again. I still lost a quite a few drives there, regardless.

Computer hardware fails. I just say "shit happens" and move on. ;-)

Oh, and I make sure critical stuff is in more than two places. What I
consider critical is likely less than 5% of my total storage.

Dan